Sister Maisie Carrillo

Sister Maisie Carrillo

Monday, September 21, 2015

Thailand/Lampang -week 23 This experience has just made me so grateful! I don't know how I got so lucky!


Hello! 
It was such a fun week! Chiang Mai is a perfect touristy place. It took about an hour for us to get to Maun-Jam (the mountain tribe thing). I like the weather up there a lot. We shopped and ate some pancakes on top of a mountain. NBD. It was really fun, it's so pretty up there! The north is just such a beautiful place. I ask myself everyday how I got so lucky! We had zone conference on Monday and Tuesday. President and the AP's talked to us a lot about diligence and becoming the person that the Lord wants us to be. It was really good! When I think I diligence, I think of enduring to the end. To be persistent in everything we do, even when it's hard. And I've realized that when we do that, we change. Our abilities to withstand become stronger and we overcome those weaknesses and fears that we have. Another reason I am so grateful for the atonement. I know that without it, we wouldn't have the strength to overcome but because we have a Savior who overcame everything for us, we can do it! 
I was ready to get back to my little city though. I love Lampang! This week we had some setbacks. Sister Saa called us one day and said that she was moving the next day, we were really sad. We really love her! But she'll get baptized someday, the missionaries will find her (she's going to an area that doesn't have a church.) I have faith in the Lord! We were having a hard day after that though and it was raining all day Friday and we were soaking wet and cold. We were inviting at Big C and no one was listening and we literally felt like we were going insane. We were really hungry, exhausted and were saying we just wanted our moms (haha). And some donuts! As we were walking out, we passed this white guy and his khon Thai girlfriend and we said hello to them and she was like, "hey grab the donuts! Give them those donuts in there!" she ran to her car and gave us a whole bag of donuts. They were so nice to us! We were laughing on the way home how Heavenly Father heard us whining and gave that girl some inspiration to give us the donuts. I totally believe that! I know He cares about us too and the experience that we're having. We were just having a hard day and those donuts made it so much better! We also went to go and teach Brother Santi and his wife and kids. She's still not ready to change anything but she totally supports Brother Santi and she totally adores us! We went to teach their kids though (did I mention that they live in the office of another Christian church?) and his dad shows up (who happens to be the pastor of the other church). Yeah, that was awkward. He does not like us at all! We were trying to be so nice though, because we aren't going to let him affect how we behave. He basically told us he doesn't want us going there and teaching his family. We've gone back anyways. Brother Ford wants us all to go over and try and convert him. I don't see that happening right now. For now, he just really hates us haha! Brother Santi got baptized though! We were so excited for him! He went up and bore his testimony of how he knows that this church is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet (which was amazing because for so long he was so unsure!). It was an awesome service. The Elders baptized Brother Fream who's 10 and so cute! Sister Miaw (brother Santi's wife) was there and stayed the entire time. I think his family will follow, it might just take some time! We love that family! Anyways we got a new investigator yesterday, Sister Pen. She's a friend of another member. He had given her a Book of Mormon and she's been reading it everyday and said she loves it. She didn't even hesitate when we asked her if she wanted to get baptized next Sunday! It really was a miracle! It really just amazes me how the Lord prepares people. How He's in every detail of our lives. I thought about that a lot this week as we were struggling a bit. We saw little miracles, little acts of kindness that helped us to know that Heavenly Father was with us.  After all the hardship and the trials, that's when you see the miracles and see that we really are never alone. It was a hard week but it was also a great week! I was still able to be happy and pull through. I think that's the most important part of enduring to the end. Having the diligence to do so but also, to learn how to be happy! Heavenly Father doesn't just want us to endure, endure, endure. He wants us to do it but be happy too. There's so much to celebrate and be happy about throughout life! 
It really was a great week! I absolutely love Thailand, I feel so lucky to be here. I look at all these people I love so much and think that I never would've known them if I didn't come to Thailand or go on a mission. I never would've had these experiences that were so hard for me but turned out to be such a blessing to me. Elder Holland told our mission president that when we signed up to be a missionary, we signed up to suffer. Because without suffering a little, how would we ever become like our Savior, who descended below all things. I say it every week, but I'm so grateful to be a missionary and a disciple of Jesus Christ! I love my Savior and Heavenly Father and I know that they love me too. How lucky am I to have the opportunity to bring these people here in Thailand to Christ. We've already seen so many lives changed. But that's what the gospel of Jesus Christ does to you, it changes you! 
Love you all and hope you have a great week! :) 
-Sister Carrillo 
1 Nephi 11:17 - I don't know the meaning of all things, but I know that God loves us. 
Rocking out the mountain headbands!
Inviting by our house.
 Do you wanna learn about Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world?
 
Such a beautiful place, if only the pictures could do it justice!
 


 Got some Mexican food on out way back to Lampang at Sunrise Taco's. 

I freaked out when they didn't have horchata's 

and Sister Rem was like, But she's Mexican! She needs it! It was way funny.

Yeah Sister Mags! Got to catch up with my MTC sister again.

This cow thing is a water buffalo!
 They're always in the river right next to our house. Pretty cool!
 This is probably my favorite wat (it's super close to the church) 
it's totally northern looking!
It's so pretty here! 
 Up on the mountain!
We ended up in this creepy place while inviting. 
We thought it was a perfect place to be sold into human trafficking. Sketchy.










No comments:

Post a Comment